🔕 🔔

What is a semi-boneless beef rib roast? Can I cook it the same as a traditional rib roast?

asked by Robin O'D about 7 years ago

Yes, you can -- but keep an eye on it because it may cook more quickly.

Robin O'D

Thank you, I was going to try Ann Seranne's rib roast, but I wasn't sure about the timing chart in the book.

betteirene

Because it's not easy to find a full-boned rib roast these days, a "semi-boneless" rib roast has come to mean "traditional." You should be able to adapt the recipe weight-for-weight without a problem.

"Semi-boneless" means the chine bone (backbone) has been removed from the roast but the rib bones are still attached. The NYTimes photo of the rib roast that ran in January is of a semi-boneless roast.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Thanks betteirene -- and yes, ever since that I wrote that story, people have told me that the timing chart works pretty much the same with semi-boneless. I didn't realize you were going to use that recipe -- in which case, you can't really check the meat temp while it's in the oven. So I'd stick to the time chart I posted.

Robin O'D

Thanks betteirene and Amanda. I love all this great feedback. I originally asked the question while looking at the sales in the paper. Once I got the roast home today, I realized that the rib bones are attached. I went ahead and stuck a temp probe in the roast for curiousity sake, and I am currently following the chart in the book. Can't wait for dinner!