🔕 🔔

Any help for a pyrex pan with baked on grease?

I've already tried oven cleaner on it and while that took some off, a lot remains. Not to mention the fact that the grease now smells of oven cleaner. Any ideas besides tossing it? Thanks!!

asked by TiggyBee over 6 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

You could trip placing several papertowels in the dish, and then pour just enough ammonia to soak them. Then tie the whole mess in a plastic bag and allow it to sit overnight in a location where the fumes can be wafted away. Open bag carefully after 24 hours, the grease should be softened enough to removed.

Another product I have used that is less sticky is De-solves-it Contractor Strength. It's an orange oil product that works really well. But it's harder to find. Have to go to a hardware store. It may take several applications.

I have alway had great success with a pre-soaped steel wool on pyrex and corning dishes that grease has been baked onto. I first scrub a little getting some grease off and the soap on the pan, then let it set and return in 15-20 minutes. The grease comes off with more scrubbing rather easily.

When you used the oven cleaner, did you heat the pan? It works better that way and perhaps a second go 'round with the oven cleaner while heating the pan will do the trick. This worked great for me for a steel pan that was used to fry a turkey, the outside was one huge burnt on grease mess! Applying heat made all the difference.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Congratulations! You've made. . .plastic! For real--that's what oil of any kind (canola, margarine, petroleum) turns into when it's heated.

I do what cazcancook does. I also use a paring knife to scrape off any residue stuck to the seams.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

Many thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes..

07ca8234 0b84 4759 9d5c f37604c108fb  barb

I have had good results just soaking overnight in baking soda water.