Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

What is the legal ramification of posting a name of recipe and recipe ingredient using a trademarked name? (in the title , etc)

Example: I first posted my recipe for bread pudding as Coffee-Nutella Bread Pudding. I changed it to Coffee- Nochella Bread Pudding because I wasn't sure. (I made up nochella)

asked by dymnyno over 5 years ago

I'm not a trademark specialist, but generally, if you are actually using the ingredient in the recipe, there should be no problem whatsoever in including the name of it in the title. In fact, the owner of the mark will probably be delighted that you are promoting their product. If you are simply using the term "nutella" generically to mean the combination of chocolate and hazelnut, the owner of the mark could ask you not to use their trademarked name that way. I doubt that they'd do anything more than ask you simply to stop doing it. I haven't checked the terms of use for this site; there may be something there that addresses this. ;o)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with Antonia James on this one. For my blog I'm frequently solicited by FoodBuzz sponsors to test recipes using their products. If I accept any samples and do use them on my blog I'm required to note a disclaimer that I was sampled by the manufacturer. But yes, the producers do want you to promote their products.

Trademarks exist to recognize and protect the association of words and images with particular products (ie. Nuttella with a particular chocolate hazelnut spread). You are only infringing a trademark if you are doing something that confuses the market about that association, or trying to pass off something you are selling as originating with the trademark owner. So naming Nuttella or something like it as an ingredient in a recipe would generally not be an infringement. Putting the trademark in a title could, I guess, attract the attention of a trademark holder if they thought there was some risk of creating confusion about one of its products. Seems like a pretty unlikely contingency though.