🔕 🔔

What do use a whisk for?

asked by @amandahesser about 7 years ago

so many things! whipping cream, whipping eggs if you want to give them some height, whipping egg whites for meringue, making sauces like hollandaise or sabayon.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Stirring together dry ingredients when baking. Blending (and fixing) sauces.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Stirring together vinaigrettes to make them nicely emulsified!

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Stirring my flour before measuring instead of sifting.

6a75ec96 761d 4725 8a44 26c9e0e5d33c  crimsonlogo

Incorporating dry ingredients into liquids, or when I make sauces and gravies

I use mine for making beating egg whites for cakes and whole eggs for omelets, for mixing dry ingredients when baking and for quickly folding things into batters, whipping cream, and breaking up lumps in cream of mushroom soup and cream of wheat, and also looking mildly threatening in the kitchen. When I'm feeling strong I make mayonnaise.

Home defense.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Mostly for decoration. They look so pretty in the copper canister on the countertop next to the stove.

Seriously. . .I never use the biggest one because it's too unwieldy--that whisk really is just for decoration. I use the medium one for gravies, roux, cream soups and puddings. The little one is for popover batter, pancakes, scrambled eggs.

I wish I had enough patience to whip cream and meringue with a whisk. It seems so cool and professional.

709cce19 92e3 4953 a02d d8e0d2c39c16  bestface

Getting lumps out of yogurt, whisking together oils and vinegars for vinaigrettes, whipping cream.