🔕 🔔

Can I substitute green onion, yellow onion, or purple onion for the shallots in Alice Waters Aioli recipe? Thank you.

Aioli

2 or 3 small garlic cloves
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon water
1 cup olive oil

Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and salt until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, half of the garlic paste and the water.

Whisking constantly, slowly dribble the oil into the egg yolk mixture. As the egg yolk absorbs the oil, the sauce will thicken, lighten in color and become opaque. This will happen rather quickly. Then you can add the oil a little faster, whisking all the while. If the sauce is thicker than you like, thin it with a few drops of water. Taste and add more salt and garlic as desired. Makes 1 1/4 cups.

asked by cowgirlculture about 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Of course you can. Each of those options will give you a somewhat different flavor, but you can use any of them or none at all. Perhaps you anticipated this, as your recipe includes no shallots.

81644eb1 c1bc 4b68 9853 f6adb59113c1  k

Ooops sorry, I looked at the salad ingredient list while reading the dressing ingredient list and panicked! Thank you for the clarification! My first time with this recipe! I have heard it is great though!