🔕 🔔

Daikon

I have a daikon radish in my fridge. Any ideas what to do with it?

asked by Cuoca Marchisio over 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Pickled daikon - love this recipe!

SKK, I see you're a catwoman!

Yes I am boulangere - this is Tom the Buddha cat.

Right above you is Basil, son of Parsley.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Roasted daikon is really good, too!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I usually use it as a garnish for sashimi, or pickeled as a 'pickle' element side dish for miso soup and rice. Google Momofuko pickles for a quick recipe, and make some cucumbers and watermelon rind too!
You won't get the wild yellow color, which is added to some pre-made diakon pickles.

Diakon raw makes a nice garnish/slaw for other dishes.
You can grate it with carrots and dress with a touch of rice or apple cider vinegar.
If you have any small bird peppers..put an X in the top and use a chopstick to push in bird pepper (cut off the top and squeeze out the seeds, using a chopstick to help loosen them). Then grate on a grater and dress with vinegar.
It makes a nice accompaniment for seared tuna.

(Now, I see the pickle recipe that SKK posted I think I like that one even better!).

Daikon really asborbs the flavors of what it is cooked in, so I put it in soups, or pickled daikon, and the greatest is kimchi daikon because it remains it's crunch. I WOULD NOT put it in salads like other radishes.