Daikon

I have a daikon radish in my fridge. Any ideas what to do with it?

asked by Cuoca Marchisio about 7 years ago

Pickled daikon - love this recipe!

SKK, I see you're a catwoman!

Yes I am boulangere - this is Tom the Buddha cat.

Right above you is Basil, son of Parsley.

Roasted daikon is really good, too!

I usually use it as a garnish for sashimi, or pickeled as a 'pickle' element side dish for miso soup and rice. Google Momofuko pickles for a quick recipe, and make some cucumbers and watermelon rind too!
You won't get the wild yellow color, which is added to some pre-made diakon pickles.

Diakon raw makes a nice garnish/slaw for other dishes.
You can grate it with carrots and dress with a touch of rice or apple cider vinegar.
If you have any small bird peppers..put an X in the top and use a chopstick to push in bird pepper (cut off the top and squeeze out the seeds, using a chopstick to help loosen them). Then grate on a grater and dress with vinegar.
It makes a nice accompaniment for seared tuna.

(Now, I see the pickle recipe that SKK posted I think I like that one even better!).

happycao

Daikon really asborbs the flavors of what it is cooked in, so I put it in soups, or pickled daikon, and the greatest is kimchi daikon because it remains it's crunch. I WOULD NOT put it in salads like other radishes.