Daikon

I have a daikon radish in my fridge. Any ideas what to do with it?

asked by Cuoca Marchisio over 7 years ago

Pickled daikon - love this recipe!

SKK, I see you're a catwoman!

Yes I am boulangere - this is Tom the Buddha cat.

Right above you is Basil, son of Parsley.

Roasted daikon is really good, too!

I usually use it as a garnish for sashimi, or pickeled as a 'pickle' element side dish for miso soup and rice. Google Momofuko pickles for a quick recipe, and make some cucumbers and watermelon rind too!
You won't get the wild yellow color, which is added to some pre-made diakon pickles.

Diakon raw makes a nice garnish/slaw for other dishes.
You can grate it with carrots and dress with a touch of rice or apple cider vinegar.
If you have any small bird peppers..put an X in the top and use a chopstick to push in bird pepper (cut off the top and squeeze out the seeds, using a chopstick to help loosen them). Then grate on a grater and dress with vinegar.
It makes a nice accompaniment for seared tuna.

(Now, I see the pickle recipe that SKK posted I think I like that one even better!).

happycao

Daikon really asborbs the flavors of what it is cooked in, so I put it in soups, or pickled daikon, and the greatest is kimchi daikon because it remains it's crunch. I WOULD NOT put it in salads like other radishes.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks