Can I "bake" rice with good results?

I have a pound of long grain brown rice, black barley & daikon radish seeds. Rather than cook on the stovetop can I somehow add rice medly with boiling water/broth and bake-off?

lloreen
lloreen March 22, 2012

I like to make rice in the oven, but usually I begin it on the stove. soak the rice well, of course. Sautée your spices or seeds in a little oil, then add the rice and stir for a few seconds. add the hot water, then cover the pot with tinfoil or parchment and the lid, to make it tight. Put it in the oven at 350 for about 20 mins.
do you have any dried shiitake mushrooms? This would be really good with a mushroom broth if you soak them in boiling water, then add both the mushrooms and broth...

sexyLAMBCHOPx March 22, 2012

I dont have dried mushrooms but happen to have some mushroom broth! Thanks for the helpful response, going to try it out today.

lloreen
lloreen March 22, 2012

Oh- and the cooking time is approximate - check after 20 but it might take longer

susan g March 22, 2012

I have used this recipe with tasty results. The quinoa could be omitted -- it's the technique that's critical.

mensaque
mensaque March 22, 2012

I agree with lloreen on the "sautée tip".I would never cook rice without an olive oil and garlic base.Sautée the rice for a minute or so but don't let it seat on the heat or it will get hardened.I never actually cooked the rice on the oven,but there's a quick recipe to bake cooked rice:sautée ground beef (or finely chopped ham,or sausage,or even hot dogs...why not?),beaten eggs,little milk,chopped vegetables at your choice(I use onion, peas and carrot),some olives,little bit of tomato sauce,oregano and mozzarela cheese;mix everything with the rice(or pasta al dente-then you'll need more sauce).Cover with grated parmigiano and leave it in medium heat until the eggs get hardened and the cheese melted.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo March 23, 2012

m. looks like an interesting recipe. But never say never, half the world cooks rice without an oil and garlic base.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 22, 2012

I usually resort to the microwave to make my rice 1:3 rice: water ratio for regular rice 1: 2 for Basmati 20 minutes