🔕 🔔

Tat soi: I bought some today at an Asian farmers' market. I've never cooked with it (or even tasted it). Ideas, anyone? Many thanks. ;o)

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Flavor wise it's like a mild mustard green. You can use it raw in salads or cooked.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

It has a strong, pungent flavor. I've only ever had it in salads, never cooked. Very tasty, if you like sharp greens. From what I'm told, it's loaded with nutrients too.

I miss the Bay Area!

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

It's plentiful here where I live and really nice stirred into some brown rice and wilted (with some soy sauce, etc, let your imagination flow) also makes a really nice salad green, as hardlikearmour mentioned. Hope this helps AJ!!

Also, just taste a bit and see what you think! You may know exactly what you want to do with it.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Sauteed. (think of it like mustard of collard green)..with a cleanly brighter flavor. With some good sweet onions, leeks, or valadila, or spring onions.

Top with Braised Pork belly slices. Crisped up, or Pancetta ham.

Toss the greens with either a touch of rice wine vinegar, or southern style 'pepper sauce' (peppers in white vinegar). (or the vinegar heated in a microwave with red pepper flakes). A bit of fried onions, or sunflower seeds, or pine nuts for extra textures.

You can sub good thick bacon for the meat element. Or fried tofu (Firm drained; Matchstick cut; tossed in cornstarch fried crispy) and or sauteed mushrooms for vegie dish.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

It would not surprise me if you've already eaten tat soi--it's a reasonably common component to salad greens mixes. I think that amysarah is right, that it's most often eaten in salads, but you can add it to soups or quickly stir fry or sauté it a well.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

This soba noodle salad is terrific. I am actually growing some this spring (pretty easy!) to use with soba!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

It's so delicious. But I always seem to eat it all before actually trying to cook with it. It's usually gone by the time I'm home from the farmers market (and I live 5 houses away.) GREAT in salads.