🔕 🔔

I love to make quiche, a lot of recipes ask for creme fraiche which is v expensive, So I have been using Greek style yoghurt, bad?

asked by casadelmonte over 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I don't think its bad at all to sub Greek yogurt. You could also make your own creme fraiche if you wanted. Mix 1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized) with 2 T buttermilk, cover with a clean tea towel and leave at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours (until thickened) then stir and refrigerate.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

Agreed!! If it is about reducing fat, go with the greek yogurt (or your own homemade strained yogurt, if It's about reducing fat and price), but if it is just about the price use hardlikearmour's suggestion. If you need suggestions for the leftover buttermilk, I love buttermilk pie, ranch dressing or buttermilk mayonnaise, a chicken marinade, ice cream. As you can tell I'm a buttermilk fan. Creme fraiche, too--I guess I just love the taste of Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides...

Not a bod thing, but definitely not the same. hardlikearmour beat me to the mention of making your own. So easy, and it really keeps in the fridge a long time. As for buttermilk, if you live near a farmer's market or dairy farm, try the "real" buttermilk they sell. It's a far cry from the stuff in cartons in the supermarket.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

This instance isn't the same as subbing margarine when butter is called for--to me, that's a definite no-no and I'd smack the back of your hand with a wooden spoon if you tried to do that in my kitchen. I'm not as inflexible with other substitutions, such as yours and the others mentioned above. As long as it works and you're happy with the result, it's good.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

How did we stray from the canon? Turn back to Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol I: "The classic quiche Lorraine contains heavy cream, eggs, and bacon, no cheese..." For Quiche au Fromage de Gruyere: "you may use all milk instead of cream." No creme fraiche -- is that a 21st century affectation?