Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

The color of rhubarb: does the amount of red on the rhubarb matter?

On Monday I spied the first rhubarb of the season at my local farmer's market. It was pretty much all green though -- no red. And that made me hesitate to buy it. It got me thinking...

Does the appearance of the red affect the flavor? And regardless of whether it does or not, what brings on/brings out the red? Maturity? Soil acidity? variety of rhubarb? Phase of the moon? Thanks!

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Ooh, interesting question. I've always assumed it was an indication of stalk ripeness/maturity because in my experience greener stalks have been a lot more acidic and the redder ones were a bit less caustic. But now you've got me wondering how sure I am about that...I hope somebody out there knows!

I refer you to the Rhubarb Compendium, a handy site I've consulted before. Seems to be a vareital trait:
http://www.rhubarbinfo...

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

Nutcakes, thanks for the link. In looking at that site this seems to be the relevant paragraph (which is on this page: http://www.rhubarbinfo... ):

"A deep red petiole is the more popular among consumers, but these plants are often accompanied by poor growth and yield. Green varieties are often much more productive. Consumers also often assume the red stemmed rhubarb is sweeter than other colors but color and sweetness are not necessarily related. The Victoria variety, which is probably the greenest variety, can produce some very sweet stems."

So, what is everyone's anecdotal experience? Does the color have little to do with flavor? Do people prefer red just 'cause it's prettier?

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Some varieties of rhubarb have been bred to emphasize the red trait (seed catalogs often mention it as a selling point) as the color red is seen as more appetizing than green. From my (rather lengthy) experience with rhubarb, I can tell you that color has very little to do with sweetness and flavor. The thriving type I grow seems be be a happy balance of red and green, but I no longer recall the variety. I think color matters little; any rhubarb's pretty astringent all by itself. (Can you imagine a raw rhubarb sweetness tasting? Blecch.)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Although the red color is more desirable, I've never noticed a difference in the taste between red and green rhubarb.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

When I was a kid we'd eat raw rhubarb stalks, and we loved them. If you ever want to try something fun, you should pick up some "miracle fruit" and do some "taste tripping." Rhubarb is a great one to try when your tastebuds are messed up by the miracle fruit.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

The only time it matters is when you are making something where the color is an important part of the overall result -- so, rhubarb sauce -- pink is good; pie -- pretty hidden, not quite as important; jelly (a total favorite!) -- pink is essential. If you have "really pink" in your jelly, it is actually a beautiful jewel tone. Flavor wise -- little to no difference. We are a rhubarb loving household!