🔕 🔔

What is the difference between Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers?

Cfe98463 a3e1 40b4 9c09 b5ccec317eac  639946 red yellow and green bell peppers shallow dof focus on the red pepper

Besides the color of the three peppers, what is the difference between them? The prices for the yellow and red peppers are so higgh so I always buy green bell peppers. I've never noticed much of a difference in flavor, so what is the difference?

asked by TheGirlyGirlCooks about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I find the red, yellow and orange peppers to be sweeter than the green ones. They are basically different varieties of the same plant and/or different stages of ripeness.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

There's a nutritional advantage to the bright colors. All those great carotenes, and more Vitamin C than in the greens. I think they cook up a little faster too.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

As regards regular bell peppers, red (or orange or yellow or chocolate brown) peppers are ripe peppers. If green bell peppers remain on the plant, they turn into lovely sweet (and more perishable) red peppers. In my garden, if anyone wants a green pepper, s/he has to sneak it past the pepper cop, who allows only the picking of red peppers. That said, some pepper varieties (like Ace) taste okay when green, while others (like Carmen or Lipstick) are really only decent when red.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

The skin on the red & orange ones I find to be a bit more tougher than the green