Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

I could do with a pork mince recipe that doesn't mean meatballs hamburgers or shelters pie. Any clues?

asked by @1davewal over 5 years ago

I use ground pork as one of the components in my Country Pate. Other than that and meatballs, meatloaf, burgers, what does one do with ground meat? Perhaps a spaghetti sauce?

What is "shelters" pie? I've never heard of that.

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Maybe dumplings or egg rolls? Or dan dan noodles?

41359733 c268 4680 9c03 20171136da23  36759 1508809845303 1386043621 1376719 953512 n

By "pork mince," do you mean ground pork? As in, you're looking for a good way to use ground pork that isn't meatballs or hamburgers? If so, try this on for size. It's a baked sauerkraut and pork dish of Hungarian (or possibly Romanian) origin. I made a few changes here and there, but it hews pretty closely to a recipe called "Transylvanian Baked Sauerkraut" in Susan Derecskey's "Hungarian Cookbook." I made it for a Superbowl party this year and it was very well-received.

3 tbsp bacon fat
1/2 cup chopped onion (about half of a medium onion)
1 lb ground pork
1 large or 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sweet paprika
[optional: hot paprika to taste, I used probably 1/2 tsp]
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 lb smoked bacon, 1/4-inch dice (if you can find Hungarian slab bacon, that's the way to go, but otherwise thick-sliced bacon is fine)
1/2 lb smoked sausage (I used Polish kielbasa), 1/4-1/2 inch dice
1/4 cup uncooked white or instant rice
1 1/2 cups sour cream

Heat the oven to 325 F. Rinse the sauerkraut and squeeze dry. Saute the onion in the bacon fat until it starts to wilt. Add the pork and brown thoroughly. (NOTE: if the pork releases a lot of juice during cooking, drain it off into a bowl and put it aside. All the liquid in the pan could cause the meat to steam instead of properly browning. You can add the juices back in with the garlic and paprika.)
Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika (and the poured-off liquid, if there is any). Cook about a minute, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil and parboil the rice for 10 minutes (unless you're using instant, in which case you can add it directly to the casserole when you assemble it.)
In a separate skillet, cook the bacon until it starts to render fat, then add the sausage to the pan. Cook 5 minutes, or until the bacon starts to brown.
Grease a 2-3 quart baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the sauerkraut on the bottom. Top with the bacon and sausage mixture, including the drippings in the pan. (I never said this was a light recipe.) Cover with another 1/3 of the kraut. Dot with about 1/2 cup sour cream. Sprinkle the rice over. Cover with the ground pork mixture, including pan juices. Spread the remaining 1/3 of kraut on top. Return the pan the ground pork cooked in to high heat and deglaze with 1 cup of water or, better, chicken stock, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Pour this over the casserole. Finally, spread the remaining sour cream as evenly as possible on top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and let stand for 20 minutes. It's fine to eat then, but it tastes even better the second day, especially with some good rye bread and extra sour cream.

80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

mapo tofu with ground pork.
Vietnamese Ginger Pork salad
Thai ground pork salad with fish sauce

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree with previous picklers--many Chinese dishes use ground pork as part of the seasoning. These include dan-dan noodles, dry-fried green beans, and ma-po tofu. I also get really excited about larb (or laab), the thai ground pork salad mentioned by jwolfsthal--minced meat with a deliciously balanced sauce of fishsauce, lime, lemongrass, and a bit of sugar, mixed with rice powder and chili, enjoyed with fresh herbs and lettuce.

02b68c6a 7bcb 4387 b4c5 83adca012e13  runningspoon perre magness

Larb is Thai minced pork salad that is lovely. I am sure you can search a recipe. And it's a hmaburger, but there is a recipe on my site for pork, sage and apple burgers that is different, and really good.