A question about a recipe: Zucchini with poppy seeds

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Zucchini with poppy seeds" from Grey Haired Gourmet. It says:

"Add 1/4 cup water in a blender and run it at a high speed. Slowly add the soaked poppy and mustard seeds in the running mixer using a teaspoon. Run the blender for a minute or so after adding all the poppy and mustard seeds until it becomes a thick paste."

It's not becoming pasty!! What did I do wrong?

7ddb0e7d fe98 4cfe 964f 73809ebc4edc  posto
Recipe question for: Zucchini with poppy seeds

Panfusine
Panfusine April 29, 2011

to get a mustard paste I usually add the seeds in first & then slowly drizzle the water in. The same principle should work when incorporating poppy seeds as well. Its like the emulsifying procedure while making mayo, you always drizzle in the liquid gradually to get a smooth consistency.

Panfusine
Panfusine April 29, 2011

adding the seeds in a fast moving liquid would most probably just 'toss & throw' the seeds around the blender rather than crush them to release the oils to ensure an emulsification.