🔕 🔔

Grey zucchini bread

After I slice homemade zucchini and carrot bread, the top half starts to turn grey. This seems to happen when exposed to air. Any ideas what I am doing wrong or what I can change. Here is a link to the recipe I follow: http://weelicious.com/2012....

Thank you!

asked by Tucker Mahoney about 5 years ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

I've had this happen to me before with carrots in cookies before - although more green than grey. A quick internet search led me to believe that I didn't mix in the baking soda well enough. You can read more about it here: http://www.thekitchn.com... Perhaps the same thing happened to you?

You may be experiencing Maillard browning, essentially the browning of a carbohydrate in the presence of a protein. It's happened to me when I've accidentally omitted the baking powder from a recipe for carrot cake which calls for both it and baking soda. It never hurts to double-check one's ingredients, especially when distractions, such as life in general, abound.