🔕 🔔

Can you freeze mozzarella?

I got some fresh buffalo mozzarella, the nice creamy kind from Naples, and got it from a special store that imports it directly from Italy. I would like to store several mozzas ( that's what they call the balls). Would freezing them be bad?

asked by GIOVANNI50 over 5 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I'm not sure about fresh mozzarella. But i freeze the 1 lb. commercial block-type variety, like Pollyo, all the time with great results. I usually defrost in the fridge.

Not the same! This comes with water in it to keep it from drying out. It is night and day difference from Polly.

Yes, they are very different. I think if you'll be using the fresh mozz in a cooked application, like on a pizza, you'll probably have good results. But if you want to eat it out of hand, or, say, in an insalata caprese, I wouldn't freeze it, due to the high water content in fresh mozz. It'll probably be grainy.

I make my own mozzarella regularly and freeze it with absolutely no problem. It is fine for all applications and never tasted grainy.

Do you make it with buffala milk or cow milk? Can you share method or source?