Can you freeze mozzarella?

I got some fresh buffalo mozzarella, the nice creamy kind from Naples, and got it from a special store that imports it directly from Italy. I would like to store several mozzas ( that's what they call the balls). Would freezing them be bad?

mrslarkin February 17, 2012

I'm not sure about fresh mozzarella. But i freeze the 1 lb. commercial block-type variety, like Pollyo, all the time with great results. I usually defrost in the fridge.

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 February 17, 2012

Not the same! This comes with water in it to keep it from drying out. It is night and day difference from Polly.

mrslarkin February 17, 2012

Yes, they are very different. I think if you'll be using the fresh mozz in a cooked application, like on a pizza, you'll probably have good results. But if you want to eat it out of hand, or, say, in an insalata caprese, I wouldn't freeze it, due to the high water content in fresh mozz. It'll probably be grainy.

chef of the future 2000
chef of the future 2000 February 18, 2012

I make my own mozzarella regularly and freeze it with absolutely no problem. It is fine for all applications and never tasted grainy.

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 February 18, 2012

Do you make it with buffala milk or cow milk? Can you share method or source?