looking for a "tasty" butter or topping for a great crusty cornbread

asked by LobsterBrieAvocadoBreath about 7 years ago

How about sweet butter with some ground chipotle mixed in, and then top with coarse salt?

Maple butter! Just whip maple syrup (preferably Grade B or a darker Grade A) into softened butter. Or, of course, its close cousin honey butter. Mm.

I'm a purist for that kind of thing. Just really good butter is all you need for really good corn bread.

fraichefoods

Cilantro and lime beat into butter might be a nice savory option.

LobsterBrieAvocadoBreath

I am liking these! Some heat! Some sweet! Some EAT (go Kristin--that's funny) I am sending the bread along with the kid for Teacher Appreciation Luncheon....I thought it would be fun to mix it up a bit.... :)

This foodpickle is the best btw....right in the middle of being stuck at any time...someone has a great answer. Thanks Food52!

PippaG

What about softened butter with finely snipped chives and lemon zest?

Not butter, but a spread that would be heavenly on cornbread is this infused honey and ricotta spread. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I use this on fish, but it would also be delicious on a savory cornbread:

Black Olive Tapenade is delicious, so is Truffle Butter. Also, try blending strawberry preserves into some softened butter or cream cheese and spread on the cornbread. Dessert!

prettyPeas

I love all the ideas here and should probably try them out someday, but I only make cornbread when I am making a green chili dish. To me, those flavors meld perfectly. So green chili sauce blended with butter gets my vote.