Nut-free topping for candied sweet potato casserole?

I'm making a candied sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving but every recipe I've found calls for pecans as the topping. I have a nut allergy (to all tree nuts and peanuts, but not to seeds) and would love to find a crunchy tasty topping that I can substitute for the pecans. Any suggestions?

asked by Juliette Dallas-Feeney over 5 years ago

Or wonder if you could toast some quinoa, mix it with a little brown sugar and butter and achieve a nice crunchy top that way. (Never actually done that, but seems like it might work.)

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Toasted pumpkin seeds could be nice.

Try oats (not instant); they work really well in a crumble topping

bigpan

I would a seed smaller than pumpkin- maybe sunflower. But the crumbled snaps sound good too.

When boulangere tested my sweet potato casserole recipe last year she used rolled oats for the topping with good success. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

chez_mere

How about some nut free granola?

Mike Peace

This is my favorite holiday dish. However, I recently began dating someone with a nut allergy, so I've been thinking of possible substitutes myself. I'm really considering bits of toffee. Perhaps cut back a bit in the brown sugar to compensate for the added sweetness.

Crunchy fried onions (stolen from thanksgiving green bean casserole).
Bacon or other crunchy meat garnish (beef, chicken)
Fried bits of sweet potato skins