🔕 🔔

Nut-free topping for candied sweet potato casserole?

I'm making a candied sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving but every recipe I've found calls for pecans as the topping. I have a nut allergy (to all tree nuts and peanuts, but not to seeds) and would love to find a crunchy tasty topping that I can substitute for the pecans. Any suggestions?

asked by Juliette Dallas-Feeney over 4 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Or wonder if you could toast some quinoa, mix it with a little brown sugar and butter and achieve a nice crunchy top that way. (Never actually done that, but seems like it might work.)

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Toasted pumpkin seeds could be nice.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Try oats (not instant); they work really well in a crumble topping

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would a seed smaller than pumpkin- maybe sunflower. But the crumbled snaps sound good too.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

When boulangere tested my sweet potato casserole recipe last year she used rolled oats for the topping with good success. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Eb050f18 51f9 464e a865 882e4fca4e78  img 3244

How about some nut free granola?