🔕 🔔

Do you have your "potluck" recipe?

Everytime I need to bring something for a party, I can't think what to bring. Help me!

asked by mayuchico over 6 years ago

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

Amanda and Merrill wrote up a nice feature on Potluck dishes in the NY Times last year: http://www.nytimes.com...

In the summertime, Maque Choux http://www.food52.com/recipes... is my favorite thing to bring. It's always a hit, and it goes so well with anything grilled.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Frozen baby lima beans.
Just lightly defrost them or blanch them, you want them a bit firm, al dente.
Cool them well.
Add some chopped red onion.

Make a dressing of Olive oil, red vinegar, oragano, thyme.
Dress the beans and season very lightly with salt and pepper.
Store in the 'fridge overnight.

Before you go..add chopped parsley and feta cheese. Adjust salt if needed, don't add too much salt for the initial marinade as you'll be using feta cheese at the end.
Serve chilled or room temp.

(fancy: use Fava Beans instead of lima beans).

Tuna, cabbage, cilantro, cucumber pasta salad
Carrot ginger sesame salad
Sushi roll rice salad
Eggplant, tomato, feta & mint gratin (room temp or warm)
Zucchini, tomato, Parmesan gratin (room temp or warm)
Corn salad with tomato and roasted chiles

for dessert,

Chocolate custard tart
cobbler or crisp (peach, straberry/rhubarb)

Sangria

let me know if you want any recipes/directions

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

This has been my potluck recipe of choice ever since I made it for the first time...

A75f098f f777 4d86 85cc 5dbb75951916  smallsyshi

Thank you everyone! Every comment helped a lot.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

What I bring for potluck usually depends on the settings. How long do I have to travel? When I get there, do I have refrigeration? Is there a way for me to heat up the food? Stove? Oven? Microwave? Is this an outdoor or indoor event? Any dietary concerns? Will finger food be more suitable for the event? I know that is a lot to consider, but that helps me decide what dishes will work for the event and what won't. It's a good starting point for me in narrowing down what to bring.

It also depends on your audience. We all like wonderful stuff here; things that might be unfamiliar in a potluck audience. (in some situations).

The biggest "Hits" for pot luck things for me are things that a 8 year old would eat.
Not a foodie 8 year old.

For example. And this trash food..a taco salad. with prepared stuff.
Ground beef, a packet of taco seasoning. Cook.
Drain and mix with chopped lettuce...and a bag of fritos.
Dress with some catalina bottled dressing right before serving.

Yup, it's trash food..but frankly it disappears in a pot luck far faster than any 'high class' food. Yes, you can make 'healthy' crowd pleaser pot luck food..simple classics, like deviled eggs, corn/black bean salads, Slaws, Potato salad, Cold pasta salads. Etc..etc.
The key to a pot luck (if you're playing to a crowd) is not make it challenging.
It's a pot luck--not you being on 'stage'. YMMV depending on the crowd your playing to: above all Know Your Customers. Make them happy..you can slide in some 'good stuff' without being all 'high class'..but sometimes people just love simple tasty 'unhealthy' recipes...using bottled stuff..etc.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Sam--YMMV?

@lorigoldsby
Your mileage may vary.