A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake

361a48e7 a614 4547 a065 3785413e224a  2018 0404 grownup birthday cake 3x2 bobbi lin 10257

I have a question about the recipe "Grown-Up Birthday Cake" from Midge.
I have a ton of regular unsweetened cocoa. I'd rather not buy new dutch-process cocoa for this recipe. Since the chocolate is only called for in the icing, will it be a problem? Any suggestions about how to make the swap?
Thanks.

asked by babycook over 7 years ago

shaska

dutch-processed cocoa means it's been treated with alkali to make it less acidic. to achieve a similar effect, add some baking soda to your regular cocoa powder. you don't mention what amount you need but the basic rule of thumb is
adding 1/8 teaspoon baking soda for every 3 tablespoons cocoa powder you use.

Midge

If you were to swap it in baking, go with shaska's advice. But since we talking about icing, subbing natural cocoa (w/o baking soda) is fine.