🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake

49cd4512 1b79 4bca ad90 db76a0302b35  grown up birthday cake

I have a question about the recipe "Grown-Up Birthday Cake" from Midge.
I have a ton of regular unsweetened cocoa. I'd rather not buy new dutch-process cocoa for this recipe. Since the chocolate is only called for in the icing, will it be a problem? Any suggestions about how to make the swap?
Thanks.

asked by babycook over 6 years ago

6efc7585 b2a4 44de adc4 9a82d8edd843  food52iconpig

dutch-processed cocoa means it's been treated with alkali to make it less acidic. to achieve a similar effect, add some baking soda to your regular cocoa powder. you don't mention what amount you need but the basic rule of thumb is
adding 1/8 teaspoon baking soda for every 3 tablespoons cocoa powder you use.

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

If you were to swap it in baking, go with shaska's advice. But since we talking about icing, subbing natural cocoa (w/o baking soda) is fine.