I have sheet gelatin from France. How to I use it in recipes calling for granulated gelatin?

asked by cwenrich about 8 years ago

anyone

First, know the total measurement of the liquid you want to set with gelatin. Then take a smaller measured amount of that liqiud and add your gelatin keeping track of the amount used. Each time you add gelatin cool your liqiud as a test to see if it sets if not add more. once the liquid sets. Then you have a ratio.

For example: If you have a gallon to set with gelatin pour off a qaurt to test. If it takes 2 sheets of gelatin to set the quart. Then it will take eight sheets for the gallon. Don't use this ratio I don't remeber what it is. But I have been here before and with out asking the chef who handed me the gelatin for instruction this is how I figured it out.

anyone

Oh and by the way you can use a large bowl full of ice and a smaller bowl for the gelatinized liquid to cool quicker than the refridgerator. Just set the small bowl into the Ice of the larger bowl and stir.

I buy gelatin in bulk at the place where I buy my flour. I've had to research this before. According to my notes, 4 leaves equal one teaspoon of gelatin sold in bulk, which in turn is about 1/4 of one ounce. What exactly does your recipe call for? ;o)

anyone

You might want to make sure your one the same page when it come to sheet size.
I've seen different sizes.