What can I replace with Calvados?

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino October 1, 2010

Armangac is a possibility. But is this for cooking? If so does the dish require an apple flavor? In which case Applejack which is also distilled from apples.

aargersi October 1, 2010

Calvados isn't sweet but it is apple-kissed, I would think cognac with a teeny splash of apple cider would do it? You could probably go straight cognac too, you would lose that hint of apple though. Dang, now I want pate made with calvados.

suziqcu
suziqcu November 17, 2012

I'm going to try this with Ina Garten's Individual Apple Tarts...mixing with the cognac with apple cider!

anyone
anyone October 1, 2010

My first reaction is Why would you want to? I don't mean to be rude I just think trying to sub something for Calvados is experimental and no matter what you try that outcome will be unknown and possibly at a loss.

Madame Sel
Madame Sel October 1, 2010

Well, I am trying to save $$ and since I will only use the Calvados I was trying to replace it with something. The recipe already has apple cider in it so I can't substitute with that. It only calls for 1/4 cup of Calvados so I was trying to find an alternative.

AntoniaJames October 1, 2010

What is the recipe? It makes a big difference.

Madame Sel
Madame Sel October 1, 2010

Cider Braised country spare ribs-you deglaze with calvados and then saute some apples and onions.

AntoniaJames October 1, 2010

Brandy, even something inexpensive, would work just fine in a recipe like this. Or, I'd use Grappa. Especially given that you have apple cider, go with something neutral. (Someone once recommended to me to substitute a pear liqueur for Calvados, but the result was rather strange.) You've got so much apple in this dish already, I'm not sure I'd bother with adding more cider. ;o)

anyone
anyone October 1, 2010

I hear you on that madame-Then I don't think congac is going be less costly unless you already have it. From a cost stand point You might try an airline bottle of another type of liquor. My local liquor store carries the tiny bottles at a buck each. If the recipe calls for both cider and Calvados and cognac is a logical substute then look far a sub. for congac in the airline bottles. Brandy?

Madame Sel
Madame Sel October 1, 2010

We call those "nips" here in NH. I know for a fact there Courvoisier in that size, I think I may do that! Good call DonnyG!

bella s.f.
bella s.f. October 1, 2010

Madame Sel,
Don't feel badly. I know what it's like. It is a shame to spend the money for a bottle of something that you may only use once. I just went to the website of a relatively inexpensive liquor store, and the bottles of Calvados were not cheap. What are you going to be making? Knowing that may help us come up with a good alternative.

mainecook61
mainecook61 November 18, 2012

Laird's Applejack. MUCH less expensive and you can make a nice Jack Rose with it too, then drink it and pretend you are Jake Barnes in The Sun Also Rises.

Snowmunch
Snowmunch June 28, 2015

I use Framboise spirit (Rasberry spirit) with Calvados for Tarte Tatin, and it worked better than Calvados. It's about the same price as Calvados though. This tarte Tatin recipe is by Jamie Oliver and needs 100ml. Problem is that a 50cl bottle of Calvados costs about £20, so that is about £4 or USD 6.50 for 4 large portions, which is more expensive than the rest of the ingredients together.

the totally not-foolish pucko

Applejack- ain't a thing wrong with it- it's quite drinkable. The violence done to Calvados during cooking is a huge waste of it's intrinsic value- save it for drinking. Replace the water with applejack in any pie recipe and you'll be a happy happy person as well.

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

I've used a couple recipes that call for Calvados, and most of them said "or apple cider," and I'd imagine apple juice would probably work too. I see that your recipe already has it, so maybe you could just substitute straight brandy for it?