🔕 🔔

What herb can replace thyme in a recipe?

asked by Ives almost 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Rosemary, savory, marjoram, oregano. But I'd probably use less, as those options are generally more intense than thyme. An herb mix like herbes de Provence would be my go-to if I didn't have thyme on hand.

Without knowing what your recipe is it's really hard to suggest a substitution. Is it poultry? Is it fish? Certain herbs complement certain foods but clash with others.

Chicken

73729e6e 0dbf 4523 9f0a b87020c58e85  stringio
added about 2 months ago

I don't like thyme so I usually go with sage or marjoram.

9ecc4358 bcbe 4b4b 902e 16e8a2541778  318335 10150264005866526 1237581 n
added about 2 months ago

You really can't 'replace' thyme. But if I think about making poplette(meatballs) with my mother in law, we use rosemary, thyme and lemon zest. I think the reality is that thyme has a lighter, sweeter taste than rosemary, but if you combine a little bit of rosemary, a little lemon zest, you'll get an agreeable flavor with some sweetness, but no one will mis-take it for thyme. I wouldn't use oregano as the flavor is VERY strong and easily distinguishable.. and frankly, overused.