What herb can replace thyme in a recipe?

asked by Ives over 6 years ago

Rosemary, savory, marjoram, oregano. But I'd probably use less, as those options are generally more intense than thyme. An herb mix like herbes de Provence would be my go-to if I didn't have thyme on hand.

Without knowing what your recipe is it's really hard to suggest a substitution. Is it poultry? Is it fish? Certain herbs complement certain foods but clash with others.

Antoinette Rice

Chicken

paizley

I don't like thyme so I usually go with sage or marjoram.

Cassie Jones

You really can't 'replace' thyme. But if I think about making poplette(meatballs) with my mother in law, we use rosemary, thyme and lemon zest. I think the reality is that thyme has a lighter, sweeter taste than rosemary, but if you combine a little bit of rosemary, a little lemon zest, you'll get an agreeable flavor with some sweetness, but no one will mis-take it for thyme. I wouldn't use oregano as the flavor is VERY strong and easily distinguishable.. and frankly, overused.