How do you prevent freezer burn on ice cream?

Kristen Miglore May 9, 2011

Here's some background on what causes freezer burn and tips on avoiding it: http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/articles/105/avoid+freezer+burn

beyondcelery
beyondcelery May 9, 2011

Side note: slight freezer burn on your ice cream won't matter a tick if you're melting it into hot buttered rum.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery May 9, 2011

plevee
plevee May 9, 2011

Eat it quickly.

Kristen Miglore May 9, 2011

Sorry, here's a better link! http://bit.ly/meZlIH

betteirene
betteirene May 9, 2011

The photo in the link from Kristen shows a layer of plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the ice cream, which is what I was going to suggest, along with keeping it at the bottom against the back wall of your freezer.

I, however, haven't had to resort to those tricks. With the kids grown, I no longer have to buy and store cost-effective family-sized packages of anything; now, I purchase smaller containers, and I make sure to polish off the contents in one sitting.

Good call, Syronai. : )

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Also, when scooping, go deep rather than taking thin layers from the top. This minimizes surface exposure thereby reducing freezer burn.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa May 9, 2011

as someone who takes days or even weeks to polish off a pint of ice cream (i know, i know-- i'm publicly disgracing myself), i use a piece of wax paper and press it onto the ice cream. it works wonders, and i find that it peels off more easily than plastic wrap does.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby May 10, 2011

Does anyone remember the movie with Debbie Reynolds where she pulls out the ice cream from the freezer and it has 2 inches of ice and she says "oh that's just a protective layer!"

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby May 10, 2011

"Mother" with Albert Brooks