What is the best way to make two batches of ice cream in my 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker?

Do I need to clean the freezer bowl or can I just return it to the freezer after I remove the first batch of ice cream? About how long will it take til the bowl is cold enough to make the second batch? Thanks!

asked by pamelalee over 7 years ago

keel

If I am in a hurry, I will put my base in a cooler with some dry ice for a few hours. It freezes up nicely and then I can make my ice cream. The base has to be really frozen otherwise you will end up with a soupy mess which turns icy when you refreeze it instead of nice and creamy.

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Wow. I would have been afraid of using dry ice -- I'd be afraid it would freeze the plastic outer bowl too cold and it might crack. But if you've tried it then good to know!

(Now if I only had a handy source of dry ice...)

keel

Dry ice is available at most grocery stores. I always use a cooler that's large enough so that the base is not actually touching the dry ice.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Peter, I would love the details on that not *too* much ice cream maker please!

me, too, Peter.

the only way I know to prep the Cuisinart bowl is to freeze it for 24 hours. When I've tried to use it sooner, it doesn't freeze the custard properly.

Peter
Peter

Anita-

I misspoke. Amanda's Ice Cream maker is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Simac-GC4000-1-8-Quart-Cream-Maker/dp/B0000CDCMS

...which doesn't have a price on Amazon but in digging around the web it seems to cost many hundreds of dollars. (Good thing I can borrow Amanda's!) I guess I was thinking it was affordable as compared to what I see pastry chefs use in the backs of restaurants.

pamelalee

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. Making two batches is a lot more work than I realized! I came up with an alternative: I'm going to stretch one batch by using it to fill buttery profiteroles, topped with chocolate sauce and lots of whipped cream. David Lebovitz has a recipe in "The Perfect Scoop."

I run into this problem all the time because sometimes I have to make enough to serve 20 people or more. What I've tried to do---without success so far---is to order a second freezer bowl from Cuisinart, but when you call them at customer service they refer you to tech support. Huh? I just want a "replacement" bowl and not a whole second machine. I do agree though that the bowl should freeze overnight.

linznol

An ice cream loving friend of mine bought an extra bowl on Amazon for this exact reason. I think she waited until it went on sale.