🔕 🔔

Q: What can I do with cocoa nibs?

asked by @sdjurgensen about 7 years ago

I use them in place of chocolate chips in banana bread. It makes for a bread that isn't as sweet (a good thing to my mind) but more intensely chocolatey (also a good thing).
I've also had pork chops crusted with cocoa nibs at a restaurant--delicious, but I've never tried it myself at home.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Mr L makes magic ice cream - a scoop of your best chocolate ice cream, mush in some pecans or almonds, put it in a cup, drizzle a wee amount of brandy over, then sprinkle with cocoa nibs and the teeniest pinch of chili flakes and good salt. Amazing.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

The magic ice cream sounds great! I use them sometimes in place of nuts in baking. They're really good for you too!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Cacao nibs are great! I eat them straight (weird - I know.) But they're really good in crispy chocolate chip cookies with a little sea salt sprinkled on top. You get the sweet, salty, bitter, crunchy thing going on. I bet they'd be fantastic in a brittle. Love all these ideas! I like dipping a spoonful of Nutella into them, too. (yep, weird.)

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

If they're a little too bitter for you, they can also be used for flavoring cream that gets whipped. Steep 1/4 cup nibs in 2 cups of cream for at least 1 hour. Strain, chill the cream and then whip to make a whipped cream topping with a little something special.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i had the most amazing granola at clear flour bread in brookline, massachusetts. it was made with pecans and cocoa nibs, and i've made a similar, though not quite as delicious, version at home. i also love them in cookies (shortbread in particular) and on ice cream (chocolate especially).

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Crush them and use them as a rub on steak before pan-frying (think steak au poivre). trust me, fabulous. Also great with chicken liver pate: just a little grated over the top.