How long can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish in the fridge?

Can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish (no meat, just eggs, cheese, bread, and cooked veggies) covered in the fridge overnight for 16 hours? I usually leave strata casseroles in the fridge overnight, but no longer than 10 hours - I'm wondering if 16 will be okay. I'm using a ciabatta in the strata, so I think it can hold up to the egg mixture, but I'm not sure if 16 hours is okay. Any help is appreciated.

asked by chimera over 7 years ago

nutcakes

I wouldn't hesitate. Just wrap with plastic wrap and chill. People rarely make it as short a time as 10 hours ahead, and I see recipes that call for up to 24. I can't think it would be unsafe, but I can't find an authority for you.

chimera

Thanks, nutcakes. I'm making a ton of food, so I'm relying on being able to get those three stratas assembled the night before. I agree - I think it'll be okay - I just hope the texture is the same. I think I'm going to let the ciabatta get a little bit dried out before adding the eggs.

My experience is that the longer the bread soaks in the egg mixture, the more souffle-like the finished dish turns out. Imho, nothing wrong with that!

melissav

I've made a strata 24 hours in advance and it turned out well and nobody died or got sick. Success! Good luck.

lbcashmanRD

Used the below resource which says raw egg out of the shell is safe for 2-4 days:
http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17145
enjoy!

chimera

Thanks everyone - I took your advice and left everything overnight. Everything turned out fantastic - an artichoke goat cheese strata, a mushroom, spinach, and feta strata, and a baked maple french toast. Delicious. Thank you again for your help.

Bonnie

I always make mine the day before. This time I want to make it two days before. Based on other comments, it looks like up to two days would be fine. The sausage is cooked. I'm putting the whole strata together tonight, Tuesday, for breakfast on Thursday.