How long can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish in the fridge?

Can I keep an uncooked egg strata dish (no meat, just eggs, cheese, bread, and cooked veggies) covered in the fridge overnight for 16 hours? I usually leave strata casseroles in the fridge overnight, but no longer than 10 hours - I'm wondering if 16 will be okay. I'm using a ciabatta in the strata, so I think it can hold up to the egg mixture, but I'm not sure if 16 hours is okay. Any help is appreciated.

nutcakes
nutcakes May 12, 2011

I wouldn't hesitate. Just wrap with plastic wrap and chill. People rarely make it as short a time as 10 hours ahead, and I see recipes that call for up to 24. I can't think it would be unsafe, but I can't find an authority for you.

chimera
chimera May 12, 2011

Thanks, nutcakes. I'm making a ton of food, so I'm relying on being able to get those three stratas assembled the night before. I agree - I think it'll be okay - I just hope the texture is the same. I think I'm going to let the ciabatta get a little bit dried out before adding the eggs.

ChefJune May 12, 2011

My experience is that the longer the bread soaks in the egg mixture, the more souffle-like the finished dish turns out. Imho, nothing wrong with that!

melissav
melissav May 12, 2011

I've made a strata 24 hours in advance and it turned out well and nobody died or got sick. Success! Good luck.

lbcashmanRD
lbcashmanRD May 12, 2011

Used the below resource which says raw egg out of the shell is safe for 2-4 days:
http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17145
enjoy!

chimera
chimera May 18, 2011

Thanks everyone - I took your advice and left everything overnight. Everything turned out fantastic - an artichoke goat cheese strata, a mushroom, spinach, and feta strata, and a baked maple french toast. Delicious. Thank you again for your help.

Voted the Best Reply!

Sue Constable
Sue Constable November 23, 2014

Wow--three years later and I really needed this thread today. Thanks all!

Kay McGinley
Kay McGinley December 23, 2018

And now it's 4 years later and I really needed this thread today. It's so great to have these resources at hand! Thanks all.

Bonnie
Bonnie September 27, 2016

I always make mine the day before. This time I want to make it two days before. Based on other comments, it looks like up to two days would be fine. The sausage is cooked. I'm putting the whole strata together tonight, Tuesday, for breakfast on Thursday.