🔕 🔔
Loading…

My Basket ()

All questions

Has anyone heard of raw rhubarb making one itch?

A friend gave me some rhubarb from his garden, and I began to cut it, but then started itching bad all over my body and had breakouts. Strange thing is though, I can eat rhubarb cooked, so I'm not allergic to it.

asked by katiebakes over 6 years ago

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

6 answers 4647 views
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard
sdebrango

Suzanne is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 6 years ago

Its a common allergic reaction to touching rhubarb. I am not sure why you are not allergic to the cooked plant but your syptoms are classic for an allergic reaction. Have you ever touched raw rhubarb before?

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

added over 6 years ago

I've read that the leaves are toxic...years ago when my kids were tots there was rhubarb growing behind the garage..we had to fence it off to keep them out.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread
added over 6 years ago

sdebrango,
I had never touched rhubarb before until that experience, but had eaten it cooked prior to that.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

0022585b ac31 476f 99fb ddea69bdece6  fb avatar
added over 6 years ago


Rhubarb leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid, so they should not be consumed. The stalks are fine and are usually cooked (with sugar as they are so sour otherwise). There are a lot of reports of people having allergic reactions to the raw product.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1
added over 6 years ago

Rhubarb & other greens such as Taro leaves contain a large amount of oxalic acid which is store in the cells as Calcium oxalate crystals. Its these crystals which literally embed themselves on the nerve endings giving rise to the itch or irritation when the cell membrane of the rhubarb is punctured upon cutting it. The crystals dissolve in acid which translates to cooking the produce in an acidified water to leach the oxalate out of the cells.

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo
added over 6 years ago

The oxalic acid is in the leaves, not the stalks, so you shouldn't have a problem eating the stalks. If you have a reaction a serious reaction, treat it as a poisoning. Call poison control at 800-222-2222: http://www.nlm.nih.gov....

Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)

Loading…

Reset
Password

  Enter your email below and we'll send you instructions on how to reset your password

Account Created

Welcome!

Logged In

Enjoy!

Email Sent

Please check your email for instructions
on how to reset your password

Successfully logged out

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.