looking for a healthy turkey burger recipe!...thoughts?

asked by @jennd12 over 7 years ago

Blissful Baker

This recipe for turkey meatballs is easily converted into burgers & is absolutely delish!

I don't have this one quantified. But the basic idea is grind the turkey. (I use a mini prep).
I mix in some lime juice, some bread crumbs, soy or fish sauce, a dash of white pepper; a dash of ginger powder; and my 'secret weapon' a bit of unflavored gelatin bloomed in water. The gelatin binds with the turkey and bread crumbs keeping it moist and replacing the fat you'd get from a beef burger. Dust with flour and pan fry.

Serve on a english muffin bun..topped with a slaw (carrots, cabbage, onions) flavored with lime and a bit of olive oil (salt pepper etc). A a couple of slices of 'quick pickled cucumbers'. The MomoFuku recipe is good--but I just wing it with vinegar, salt, and sugar and let it sit an hour or so.

usuba dashi

Most of the ground turkey in the markets contains mechanically separate meat . . . not the nicest stuff to buy. If you can, try to buy store ground thigh meat for best flavour.

nutcakes

I've always wanted to try Oprah's favorite one:
http://www.oprah.com/food/Mar-a-Lago-Turkey-Burger

I prefer to grind my own meat for a turkey burger. Then I blend with sauteed onion and garlic, add some finely chiffonaded basil, salt and white pepper, and whatever spices I'm in the mood for. I bind a pound of turkey burger mix with 1 lightly frothed egg white.

It's really nothing like a hamburger except in looks, but it tastes great!

G1G1626

I mix in diced spinach, some paprika, oregano, garlic... hot pepper flakes and I don't cook my turkey burgers all the way through (I used breast meat) because I want to retain a bit of the moistness... Or I can just add some good olive salsa!