🔕 🔔

looking for a healthy turkey burger recipe!...thoughts?

asked by @jennd12 over 6 years ago

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

This recipe for turkey meatballs is easily converted into burgers & is absolutely delish!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I don't have this one quantified. But the basic idea is grind the turkey. (I use a mini prep).
I mix in some lime juice, some bread crumbs, soy or fish sauce, a dash of white pepper; a dash of ginger powder; and my 'secret weapon' a bit of unflavored gelatin bloomed in water. The gelatin binds with the turkey and bread crumbs keeping it moist and replacing the fat you'd get from a beef burger. Dust with flour and pan fry.

Serve on a english muffin bun..topped with a slaw (carrots, cabbage, onions) flavored with lime and a bit of olive oil (salt pepper etc). A a couple of slices of 'quick pickled cucumbers'. The MomoFuku recipe is good--but I just wing it with vinegar, salt, and sugar and let it sit an hour or so.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Most of the ground turkey in the markets contains mechanically separate meat . . . not the nicest stuff to buy. If you can, try to buy store ground thigh meat for best flavour.

I've always wanted to try Oprah's favorite one:
http://www.oprah.com/food...

I prefer to grind my own meat for a turkey burger. Then I blend with sauteed onion and garlic, add some finely chiffonaded basil, salt and white pepper, and whatever spices I'm in the mood for. I bind a pound of turkey burger mix with 1 lightly frothed egg white.

It's really nothing like a hamburger except in looks, but it tastes great!

I mix in diced spinach, some paprika, oregano, garlic... hot pepper flakes and I don't cook my turkey burgers all the way through (I used breast meat) because I want to retain a bit of the moistness... Or I can just add some good olive salsa!