🔕 🔔

How can I make a juicy (yummy) turkey burger patty?

I'm pan frying a basic turkey burger. I know "juicy" and "flavorful" are tall orders since I'm starting with 99% lean turkey. What can I do to help? Looking for any tips, from additions to cooking techniques.

asked by pnoeric over 4 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

You could render some fat from the wings, allow it to cool, then add it to the meat at a 70:30 ratio before grinding.

E98d2f4b d8ab 4a15 9df7 9023c788abd2  lauren
laurenlocally

Lauren is Food52's VP of Sales.

My favorite tricks 1) Cook down a peeled apple with a grated onion and some finely chopped celery for flavor and moisture and 2) A few teaspoons of homemade or Major Grey's Chutney.

I add grated onion and garlic, as well as finely chopped fresh herbs (I like flat leaf parsley, chives, chervil). Not to forget salt and pepper! and I add an egg white for each pound of meat. That adds "juicy" and helps the meat hang together.

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

Pouring about 1/3 cup of water at the bottom of a pan and putting at medium heat, covering the pan to steam once gray on top uncover letting the water evaporate then flip cook for another 3 minutes good to go

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I'm unconvinced that there is such a thing as a "good turkey burger". Let's face it, it's intended to mimic something else that tastes a lot better. Introducing fat (and frankly I don't think olive oil is a good one) is a good step. Turkey makes a better meat loaf than a burger for a great variety of reasons that go beyond seasoning. The meat for your basic ground beef burger is 80/20,meat to fat. So, where are you getting that other 20% from? And veggie burgers? Well those taste like they were made from papier mache.

I usually add lots of olive oil!

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

Lots of great advice here. The bottom line is you have to either add moisture with apples, celery, onions, fennel or some other grated vegetable or you have to add fat like butter, bacon or cheese.

Oprah used to rave about the recipe linked to below. Generally, as others have noted, the key is in adding moistness with sautéed or finely chopped vegetable/onions and cooking through without overcooking.
http://www.oprah.com/food...