Pointy headed cabbage uses

I'm a member of a local farmers CSA and got a pointy headed cabbage this week. Any ideas on how to best enjoy it?

asked by CaryNC about 7 years ago

GrapesNOlives

A quick slaw is always delicious, from what I've seen this cabbage would be good eaten raw. I always make slaw with garlic, fresh lemon juice, s&p, olive oil and some dried mint.

Mmm. Lucky you. I like to add shredded apple or Asian pear to a good slaw.

Helen's All Night Diner

Spitz Kraut! Traditionally used to make sauerkraut. Use in place of your favorite cabbage recipes. Love the way it looks, cracks me up!

betteirene

I grow Early Jersey Wakefield because it's done in about 2 months, and it's got a pointy head, bless it.

It's cabbage season in France, too, and here's a recipe that I hope tastes as good as it looks. http://www.davidlebovitz...

CaryNC

After FAR too much thought about this I decided to do an oven braise with some carrots and onions. Simple as pie. I will let you know how it turns out. It's in the oven now. To be paired with a couple of grilled Nathan's hot dogs. Now that's an easy Sunday dinner.

I found the recipe here.
http://www.thenourishinggourmet...

CaryNC

FYI - The oven braised cabbage was phenomenal. It cooked low (325) and slow (2 hours) and turned out almost sweet in nature. The best cabbage I've ever had.

teamom

Re: Helen's All Night Diner,
Spitzkraut is NOT traditionally used to make Sauerkraut. It is used in cabbage slaws, cabbage rolls (Sarma/Halupki, depending upon where one's roots are), or an a-la-minute soup.
The leaves are very tender, and will disintegrate under vinegar/salt after a period. S