Pointy headed cabbage uses

I'm a member of a local farmers CSA and got a pointy headed cabbage this week. Any ideas on how to best enjoy it?

• Posted by: CaryNC
  • May 20, 2011

GrapesNOlives
GrapesNOlives May 20, 2011

A quick slaw is always delicious, from what I've seen this cabbage would be good eaten raw. I always make slaw with garlic, fresh lemon juice, s&p, olive oil and some dried mint.

boulangere May 20, 2011

Mmm. Lucky you. I like to add shredded apple or Asian pear to a good slaw.

Helen's All Night Diner

Spitz Kraut! Traditionally used to make sauerkraut. Use in place of your favorite cabbage recipes. Love the way it looks, cracks me up!

betteirene
betteirene May 21, 2011

I grow Early Jersey Wakefield because it's done in about 2 months, and it's got a pointy head, bless it.

It's cabbage season in France, too, and here's a recipe that I hope tastes as good as it looks. http://www.davidlebovitz...

CaryNC
CaryNC May 22, 2011

After FAR too much thought about this I decided to do an oven braise with some carrots and onions. Simple as pie. I will let you know how it turns out. It's in the oven now. To be paired with a couple of grilled Nathan's hot dogs. Now that's an easy Sunday dinner.

I found the recipe here.
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/11/worlds-best-braised-cabbage-2.html

CaryNC
CaryNC May 23, 2011

FYI - The oven braised cabbage was phenomenal. It cooked low (325) and slow (2 hours) and turned out almost sweet in nature. The best cabbage I've ever had.

teamom
teamom June 20, 2011

Re: Helen's All Night Diner,
Spitzkraut is NOT traditionally used to make Sauerkraut. It is used in cabbage slaws, cabbage rolls (Sarma/Halupki, depending upon where one's roots are), or an a-la-minute soup.
The leaves are very tender, and will disintegrate under vinegar/salt after a period. S