Can u put aluminum foil in the microwave?

I'm @ my mother's house and she swears u can. Have they changed the foil to be microwave safe??

asked by mrslarkin over 7 years ago

lorigoldsby

We had a microwave combination oven in the last house that had a wire shelf in it. The appliance man told us not to use foil in it because of the uneven tear of the foil...the ragged edge could cause sparking...never tried it but I did look at that microwave askance every time I used it.

lorigoldsby

Just sent out a "Bing" and there is a website that says you can, www.alumi-cuisine.org

bugbitten

Yes u can, but u'll be shopping for a new microwave right after.

lorigoldsby

Also checked the USDA website... Their fact sheet gives the caveat to read the owners manual but it also says yes but
only use new (non crumpled) foil
Don't completely cover it.

In my experience, yes, as long as you enjoy teeny weenie fireworks.

Panfusine

SURE!!!! if you want to hear really scary pops & sparks & feel & hear your blood rushing thru your carotid artery! not to mention terrible visions of impending explosions & olfactory hallucinations of burning plastic!

This website says NO: http://science.howstuffworks...

Panfusine

the one time I tried to liquefy honey in its container (which had a sliver of foil clinging to the edge), that was my experience, scared the daylights out of me!.. I don't care crumple free, edge free.. My microwave will always be foil free!

How great you are at your Mom's! Same old aluminum foil and same old microwaves - don't go there.

Okay, I tried to soft-pedal my answer, but Panfusine and SKK have pulled out all the stops. It really might scare the willies out of you, not to mention the sound and light effects. I've had the identical experience as Panfusine with honey. I'm guessing her plastic container melted along the aluminum line and smelled just as bad as mine did.

Thanks, everyone, for confirming what I already believed to be true. Now to tell my mother. Whether or not she listens is another thing completely. Wish me luck!

That howstuffworks link is really cool, sdebrango. From reading a little more about this, it sounds like it's the thickness of the foil that's problematic. That, combined with crinkles, causes the microwaves to bounce off each other and spark.

I guess the metal racks in a lot of microwave ovens are okay because of their thickness.

Never underestimate the ability of a parent to intimidate. Regardless of logic.

Last week I had this same conversation with a very stubborn friend of mine who insisted that you can, he proceeded to do it and it scared the bejeezus out of him with the sparks etc.... Sometimes no matter what you say people will do what they want despite the facts they are presented with.

As one might say, *never let the truth interfere with the facts*

wssmom

no way. period.