Almond paste replacement?

I'm allergic to almonds and a few cake recipes call for almond paste. What can I substitute instead?

asked by midnitechef over 7 years ago

nogaga

Good question! You need something with similar structure to almond paste. Are you allergic to other nuts? Depending on the recipe and your own proclivites, I'd try hazelnut paste (or puree), pistachio paste which is also a great, pure green and very beautiful, chocolate ganache or maybe creme patissiere. It realy depends on the recipe.

I'm allergic to nuts as well. What are you making? If it's something whose success depends on the almond paste, I'd find another recipe. If not, leave it out.

midnitechef

I can't eat tree nuts. I can eat peanuts, cashews, chestnuts, and tahini (sesame paste). The almond paste was in a recipe for petite fours, I'm guessing almond is the flavour for the cake.

For petits fours, I'd go with chestnut paste. They'll be delicious.

nogaga

Chestnut paste will be delicious!

Another vote for chestnut paste. ;)