🔕 🔔

Substitute for almonds in a cake?

I just got some gorgeous plums at the farmers' market and want to make Jacques Pepin's plum cake (http://blogs.kqed.org/essentialpepin...), but it calls for almonds and I don't like almonds. Is there another nut I can use and still do justice to this recipe?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Walnuts should work, but you might want to toast them first.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you, jilhil - I have a fresh bag of organic walnuts, so I'm going to give this a try.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Definitely walnuts, but hazelnuts would work as well.

Pecans go nicely with plums too

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Just FYI, the walnuts were perfect in this! I'll try pecans the next time I make it, so thanks to the three of you who responded to my plea.