My ripe d'Anjou pears are somewhat bitter. Can I use them in a cake, e.g., Sarah J's pear and almond cake. ;o)

Here's the link to the recipe https://food52.com/recipes... , if it makes any difference. (I'd be using homemade almond paste, which may be less sweet than the commercial products.) Thanks so much! ;o)

asked almost 4 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

If the pears are bitter and the almond paste is also not sweet, I'd suggest putting a layer of turbinado sugar and melted butter at the bottom of the pan before you lay down the pears. I think that would offset any bitterness (and also make for a wonderful texture and a caramelized finish).

Caramel, yes. So, so yes. Thank you for the uber-prompt reply. In the kitchen now, glad not to be considering a Plan B. Happy Thanksgiving! ;o)