Does anyone in food52 have Nathan Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine?

A group of us are considering going in together to purchase a set. Reviews I have read are favorable, and I am also intrigued by Myhrvold's statement that soon things like sous vide machines will be as inexpensive as microwaves. Also love the pictures. Any comments from owners?

• Posted by: SKK
  • May 26, 2011

Amanda Hesser May 26, 2011

Waiting for my copy of the set to arrive, but I did go to two talks given by N.M., when he was touring. I wouldn't think of it as a book that you'll cook out of necessarily, but there's a lot to learn from it. And while there's a fair amount of science in it, my impression is that it's all packaged in a beautiful, accessible and fun manner. I love the idea of a group sharing the book!

SKK May 26, 2011

Thank you, Amanda. We will go ahead and order.

babytiger
babytiger May 26, 2011

I got mine a few weeks ago. Love looking through the books and learning more about techniques. Haven't cooked from it yet but will be doing so soon.

Panfusine
Panfusine May 26, 2011

Any chance that Dr. Myhrvold will be offering a set of those treasures for the food52 fanatics out here in a draw/raffle?

Panfusine
Panfusine May 26, 2011

On second thoughts.. Forget that I even suggested that. I'll be shedding tears of blood like a stressed out lab rat in disappointment if I lost out!

cammyskitchen
cammyskitchen January 7, 2012

Santa got it for me! history, tech/equip, ingred/prep, animals and plants, plated dishes, recipes. I have a sous vide and some basic chemicals, but think i can only make 30% of the recipes. Searing with liquid nitro!

petitbleu
petitbleu January 7, 2012

We got one for "research." I'll be honest--we really haven't used it much--a few sauce recipes here and there. But it's gigantic and beautiful and endlessly fascinating.