🔕 🔔

are burdock and salsify the same? pasnip or parsley root?

asked by brandon almost 7 years ago

vvvanessa

burdock root is not the same as salsify, parsnip, or parsley root (if i understand your question correctly).

brandon

i saw what i confidently thought was salsify at the store today, but was labeled burdock root so i started second guessing myself due to inexperience with either. i know burdock isn't the same as parsley root or parsnips. but are parsnips the same as parsley root?

TiggyBee

Parsley root and Parsnips look similar, but they're not the same. Are you after a similar flavor or just curious? Please clarify further. And BTW, at my local market, what I KNOW to be cilantro has organic *bunched beets* on the tag.

At a greenmarket in CT, I asked where the scallions were. A clerk said, "Uh, we're out of them." As I was walking away, he asked a co-worker, "What are scallions?"

And no, parsnips and parsley root are not the same anything.

I don't know enough about salsify and burdock root to say anything, but parsnip and parsley root are NOT the same thing. Parsnip is a cousin to turnip (not rutabaga) and parsley root is... well, it's the root of the parsley (and it's indispensible for chicken soup)!

So now that you have burdock, look for Japanese recipes -- also called gobo.
http://www.wisegeek.com...
Also Wikipedia -- check food and medicine uses.

vvvanessa

sorry i misunderstood the original question, brandon!