In a recipe for jam that will be canned, which calls for Bartlett pears, can I substitute Comice pears? Thank you! ;o)

asked about 8 years ago

Jon Palmer

Absolutely you can. The jam's flavor will differ as much as the taste of the two pears differs, but it'll still make a great jam. Can't go wrong with a good pear in a jam as long as the fruit itself is of good quality

Christina Ward

What Jon said. Just watch the amount of liquid you add to the batch; Comices are a little less juicy. You may have to add a bit of water OR just have a really thick jam.