Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

How much in advance can I cut pears? Am making a pear, blue cheese, prosciutto bundle for event.

I am making multiple appetizers for an event - pear, blue cheese, prosciutto, arugula bundles. I will be squeezing lemon over the pear slices, but am wondering if they will brown if I do it 2 hours ahead of time, even with the lemon juice.

asked by Robinalewis about 2 years ago
092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I'm sure there are others who will advise you, and it may vary by pear variety, but I would cut one and do a test ahead of time.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

For my lunch, I cut the pear, soak it for about 5 min in salt water (about 1/2 tsp salt per cup water), then dry it off completely with paper towel. Depending on the pear, it will keep for 4 to 8 hours at room temp before browning. Works great for apples too.

I second the motion of doing a sample pear.

There are also fruit fresh powder stuff that you can buy from the store to keep the fruit from browning. I have no idea what's in them, but since the salt water works so well, I have no desire to find out.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Rather than squeeze lemon juice over the pear slices, I have a bowl of water with the juice of 2 or 3 lemons and soak the pear slices for about 5 minutes. Dry, then make your bundles. (I don't use salt)