How much in advance can I cut pears? Am making a pear, blue cheese, prosciutto bundle for event.

I am making multiple appetizers for an event - pear, blue cheese, prosciutto, arugula bundles. I will be squeezing lemon over the pear slices, but am wondering if they will brown if I do it 2 hours ahead of time, even with the lemon juice.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick December 4, 2014

I'm sure there are others who will advise you, and it may vary by pear variety, but I would cut one and do a test ahead of time.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 4, 2014

For my lunch, I cut the pear, soak it for about 5 min in salt water (about 1/2 tsp salt per cup water), then dry it off completely with paper towel. Depending on the pear, it will keep for 4 to 8 hours at room temp before browning. Works great for apples too.

I second the motion of doing a sample pear.

There are also fruit fresh powder stuff that you can buy from the store to keep the fruit from browning. I have no idea what's in them, but since the salt water works so well, I have no desire to find out.

bigpan
bigpan December 4, 2014

Rather than squeeze lemon juice over the pear slices, I have a bowl of water with the juice of 2 or 3 lemons and soak the pear slices for about 5 minutes. Dry, then make your bundles. (I don't use salt)