Really? Peanut Butter Powder?

I'm not a PB&J fan, and only use peanut butter in baking or a peanut sauce. Once I open a jar, it could sit for a long, long, time. I ran across "Peanut Butter Powder" on a shopping site yesterday, and my first reaction was to wrinkle my nose and wonder what the food industry will over-process next. I've made my own once or twice, but not sure it will work (flavor and consistency) in cookies. I read through the instructions on how to substitute the powder for the real stuff, but I'm not a convert yet, and am still thinking that open jar, even if it's thrown away after months squirreled away in the back of the fridge, is a better option. But before I totally reject the product...???

asked by Melusine over 7 years ago

betteirene

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/381712

Peanut butter is simply peanuts ground up so the oil comes out. Health food stores, including Whole Foods, has the machine you put your peanuts (or almonds or cashews in) and the butter comes out the other end. Don't know why you would want to make a powder. Peanut butter also lasts a long time in the fridge. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17924

We have 3 jars of PB2 in our pantry right now--my husband uses it in smoothies. Trader Joe's also used to sell "peanut flour," but they haven't had it lately. PB2 is simply roasted peanuts from which the oil has been removed. Here's a link to the company website so you can learn more: http://www.bellplantation.com/products. They also have recipes on this page, including a recipe for cookies: http://www.bellplantation.com/recipes

Droplet

Peanut butter is better for day to day use ( for those who like it ), but I thought the powder would be great for hiking or even emergency supplies. Since the oil has been taken out of it,it is lighter by weight and will have an even longer shelf life.

Melusine

Once again -- thank you all! And, I'm glad I asked before I dismissed the idea. The Friend lives in a country in which he can receive mail through the USPS, but nothing in jars, nothing that would leak, and nothing that would ooze is allowed. (I was in one of those places a few years ago. I ended up making my own ketchup. Sigh.) DRBABS, if you'd like to share your husband's smoothie concoction......???

leftoverquiche

I'm not Drbabs but I do have a smoothie recipe. I came across this in a health food store in Alaska, it's called totally nuts. Almond milk, almond butter, dates, frozen bananas, a little yogurt and I think it had flaxseed oil in it.

The smoothie my husband makes is based on one that we had in Hawaii a few years ago. He uses chocolate soy milk, a banana, and a tablespoon each of whey protein powder, honey and PB2. Whir it all in the blender (We've actually been using an immersion blender) with a few ice cubes. It's his post-workout drink.