How long can you keep an opened container of tahini in the fridge?

asked by melissav about 8 years ago

TiggyBee

It will last at least a year when kept in the fridge.

I'm kind of with tiggybee on this one, but I might take the precaution of pouring a thin layer of olive oil on top before seeling it back up.

Mine's about 8 months old and doing fine!!

Savorykitchen

At least a year. Per pierino's comment, mine has always separated out making a thin layer of sesame oil over the top, so I've never bothered with "supplemental" oiling.

It could go rancid over time I suppose - so I do suggest you taste a bit before proceeding with a recipe. Also, if it's moldy or scummy looking (perhaps because someone used a dirty spoon to scoop some out and let nasty bits in the can/jar) toss it.

melissav

Good to know. Thanks everyone!