🔕 🔔

Good uses for garlic scapes besides pesto?

I bought a few bunches at the co-op and plan on getting more at the farmer's market while they are in season. Any good ideas on other ways to use?

asked by kcrose210 over 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I was thinking about pickling them using my Dilly Bean pickle recipe, how do you think that would be? I am about to be inundated with them myself...

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

They're wonderful just sauteed in butter and served as a side or sprinkled on things. You can add them to egg dishes like frittatas. Or, you can make garlic scape soup (sautee, add potatoes, stock, herbs, simmer, blend, add cream...)

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

These make a delicious springtime risotto, added as you would add any herb, towards the end of the cooking period. they are also a delicious addition to a vegetable broth you can use for making the risotto. Another option is to slip them discretely between the skin and flesh of a chicken; its a subtle, mysterious flavour enhancer. Enjoy your scapes!

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Lucky you! I love them brushed with olive oil and grilled.

I like them sauteed with shrimp or scallops. Over pasta, or risotto, or alone.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

The compost heap. At this time of year, better things tempt.

Blanch or saute them, then use like asparagus! They kind of taste like asparagus, but with a hint of yummy garlic flavor. I made a lovely pasta with them the other day - I blanched peas and garlic scapes in the pasta water and tossed them with the pasta and soft goat cheese.

A farmer friend of mine had a surplus this year and I ended up pickling and canning them. Like others have said, I just like to use them all over the place lightly sauteed.

I used this formula:

3 cups vinegar
5 cups water
¼ cup kosher salt

and added a little chili flake because I like things spicy