Garlic Scapes as a Side Dish?

The local farmer's market opens this weekend and they always have garlic scapes this time of year. I've been reluctant to buy them because you typically only see them used in pestos and sauces. Any ideas on how to turn them into the star of a plate? Maybe as a side dish or even as a main ingredient in the entree?

asked by Tony S over 7 years ago

There was a contest last spring for ramps recipes. I'm guessing you could play with one of the recipes using scapes in place of ramps as they are in the same family of flavors.

Midge

As a side dish, they are amazing brushed with a little olive oil and grilled. Yum!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

There's a recipe for an onion pudding on this site. I wonder if you could chop and sautee the scapes until lightly browned and then use them in this savory pudding in place of an onion. I bet if you sauteed them, then cooked them as a gratin with a bit of cream and cheese they'd also be good. Or sautee and add to mashed potatoes. Ooh, or make a soup with them!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Oh, and I forgot to say, you can make them into a pesto - process about 10 scapes with 1/3 cup pine nuts, 1/2 cup olive oil, and 1/2 cup Parmesan, and salt to taste - and then you can use this as a spread on all manner of things or toss pasta with it.

Helen's All Night Diner

I have seen them at HMart made into a kimchi type of thing. Haven't dared to try it though!

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Scapes, oh yum! Pickled, dilled, carmalized, sauteed lightly and sprinkled over hummus, stirred into risotto... Anywhere you love garlic, these lovely mild greens will work, even in place of scallions (think anything Asian--even scallion to scape pancakes). As a feature, they can even be offered raw on a crudite platter. They are so visually stunning, how about in a floral centerpiece (like with an artichoke flower). Can you tell scapes haven't hit my neck of the woods yet? I'm waiting!

Bevi

Roasted, and on pizza?