🔕 🔔

grilling scallops

do you have any tips for grilling scallops on the outside grill? never done it

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Some times the 'diver scallops' at whole food are just too tall.

I cut them in half so they're about 1 inch tall.

Oil the grill well...Take a paper towel soaked with oil..and use tongs to oil the grill before grilling.

The size of the scallops is an issue. they should be skinny enough to fall through the grates. If so, consider using a finer wire rack on the grill, or forgo the grill. This depends on the scallops and grill grate size.

Don't rush them....they'll release from the grill done without much bother. If they stick, they probably aren't ready to flip.

they *Shouldn't* be skinny enough to fall through the grill grates. Those are bay scallops.
Better pan fried with clarified butter.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I bought a fish grilling basket from Williams Sonoma I grilled the large scallops using that. It works so well. It has a handle so you can flip. I use it for all types of fish and it holds the fish in place and you get nice grill marks.

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

One of my faves is grilling scallops.... I use a low-sided copper pan which I lightly slick with oil and place on top of the grill. You get all the smokiness that way with none of the searing,

Only the largest scallops work well for grilling, imho. The others get overcooked. sdebrango's basket is the best way to ensure they don't get stuck on the grill's surface and also the easiest way to turn them and move them around if the fire gets too hot where they are.

Grilling them successfully takes quite a bit of practice. I really prefer to pan sear them.