A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake's Icing

361a48e7 a614 4547 a065 3785413e224a  2018 0404 grownup birthday cake 3x2 bobbi lin 10257

I made this cake's icing according to the recipe, with all ingredients which had been at room temp for 2 hours. But as soon as I added the milk, the mixture broke and I can't get it to come back together! Can anyone help me in time for my sister's birthday tonight?

asked by elsbeth over 7 years ago

vvvanessa

i would start by adding a few tablespoons of confectioner's sugar to see if you can bring it back together.

or, i would make a half-recipe of the frosting, adding in a little of the milk at a time, and mix in half of the old frosting.

it sounds like the butter and milk were too warm, or that you used too much milk. while you do need pliable butter, keeping milk at room temperature is risky with regards to spoilage. it's fine if it comes straight from the fridge.

Midge

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this now, but it sounds like you were in excellent hands (thanks vvvanessa!). Hope the icing turned out ok,