🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake's Icing

49cd4512 1b79 4bca ad90 db76a0302b35  grown up birthday cake

I made this cake's icing according to the recipe, with all ingredients which had been at room temp for 2 hours. But as soon as I added the milk, the mixture broke and I can't get it to come back together! Can anyone help me in time for my sister's birthday tonight?

asked by elsbeth over 6 years ago

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i would start by adding a few tablespoons of confectioner's sugar to see if you can bring it back together.

or, i would make a half-recipe of the frosting, adding in a little of the milk at a time, and mix in half of the old frosting.

it sounds like the butter and milk were too warm, or that you used too much milk. while you do need pliable butter, keeping milk at room temperature is risky with regards to spoilage. it's fine if it comes straight from the fridge.

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this now, but it sounds like you were in excellent hands (thanks vvvanessa!). Hope the icing turned out ok,