A question about a recipe: Sweet & Spicy Calamari Whats the science behind the use of club soda?

E60f0065 5b4f 4a9d 8081 b270073dfa91  051011f 541

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Sweet & Spicy Calamari" from SouffleBombay. It says:

"Pour the club soda into a medium bowl, place the calamari rings in the club soda, stir until all are submerged. Let sit for 10 minutes.
"

asked by Onofrio over 7 years ago

Kitchen Butterfly

I find that recipes that call for ingredients to soak in water are for hydration/seasoning. So for instance, in Nigeria, my sister would always soak her fish in a bowl of salted (room temperature) water, before frying. That way, each piece of fish was perfectly salted. Hope this helps

betteirene

Ming Tsai and Alton Brown call for club soda in their recipes for tempura batter, and I use beer or club soda in my recipes for jalapeno poppers, cheese sticks, deep-fried mushrooms and fish and chips. The club soda or beer adds bubbles which help to aerate the mixture, making a lighter batter.