What to do with leftover pasta filling?

I made ravioli this weekend and have leftover filling. It is ricotta, spices, and egg in it - what can I do with it?

asked by LucyS over 7 years ago

Probably not enough left over to make a full lasagne?

Or stick it in a calzone, with extra mozz.

I'd mix it into pasta, cheese and sauce, and make baked ziti.

How about a quiche? Lay some roasted or sauteed vegetables into a tart crust, layer on your cheese mixture, whisk a couple of eggs and milk together, pour it over, and top with some grated gruyere or parmesan cheese. Bake for about 45-50 minutes at 350. Good for lunch with a salad.

prettyPeas

For quick and simple, I'd just incorporate it into a frittata or scambled eggs. If you have a lot and aren't tired of Italian, ricotta gnocchi are basically this type of filling plus a bit of flour to bind. I usually use about 1/4 cup flour per tub (~15 oz) of ricotta. Just drop in boiling water and wait until they float for one minute. They're best browned in some butter/olive oil after that.

LucyS

I love these ideas. Sadly, not enough for a lasagna. I've also taken on a (debatably stupid) project/experiment for the month of June where I am forcing myself to make everything I eat from scratch, and since I don't have special machines, anything with pasta is hard (I've made fettuccini and ravioli, but it took a couple hours each time.) But I LOVE the quiche idea! And I adore baked ziti- first thing I do in July!

LucyS

I'm also dreaming of frittatas right now. Thank you!

Wow, that's quite a challenge, LucyS! I love making pasta and don't do it nearly enough.

Simple hand-cranked pasta machines (the kind you attach to your counter) are not crazy expensive, and if you're lucky, you can find one at a tag sale for cheap, like I did.

I like the ricotta gnocchi idea - they're super easy and so so tasty. Quiche is a great idea too!

Good luck!