How to make Creme Brulee?

I have a recipie for creme brulee, but I was wondering at the end when you burn the top, can you use a regular lighter, a long one like for a grill, not a bic, or is there a special lighter I need to buy? If substituting won't hurt the outcome that is better for me. college budgets are pretty tight.

asked by Kittythecollegecook about 7 years ago

I don't think that will work well. The flame with those lighters always wants to point up so it'll be difficult to get it aimed at the sugar. You can use a broiler or bite the bullet and get a propane torch at the hardware store.

Kittythecollegecook

I will try the broiler first! Thanks for the idea

I'd bite hardlikearmour's bullet and get a torch also.

foodfighter

I have a stick lighter that has a strong flame you can point that would work as you are describing. I'll try to find the brand tonight.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

They now have pressurized torch lighter at most convenience store these days. Usually for nefarious reasons, but I bought one for the same reason you are looking for. It worked great for creme brûlée, but it only had enough fuel to char 10 brûlée

Melusine

A trick I've read about (but have yet to try) is to dry the brown sugar in the oven, and then sprinkle the dry sugar on top of the creme and do the brulee part under the broiler.

Droplet

I always use the broiler and it works fine every time.