A question about a recipe: Okonomiyaki

C8141b5b 2e34 42fc 8cdd 09273b032dbb  2016 1102 okonomiyaki james ransom 219

These look fantastic. Any special type of cabbage? Napa? Plain old green? thanks

asked by rachelib over 7 years ago

Midge

Thanks! I use green cabbage, but it might be interesting to experiment with different kinds.

Lexmccall

"okonomiyaki" was translated to me as "whatever you like, fried," so I'd imagine that any type of cabbage would be great. Green or red, chinese, napa--whatever is handy.

@lexmccall - thanks for the translation! I have loved okonomiyake for years, ever since my first travels to Japan. We eat it at little cafes where we sit around a table with a griddle in the middle and each make our own with whatever ingredients we choose. Now it all makes sense. Midge's recipe is the easiest I have seen, and I love it.