substitute for Cilantro?

I would like to make the Cilantro-Scallion Bread from the new Bon Appetit, http://www.bonappetit.com..., but I am not a fan of Cilantro! Any opinions on a substitute. I am thinking parsley...

phyllis
phyllis June 25, 2011

There really isn't a substitute for the taste of cilantro. I don't have the 'bad' gene, but have friends who do, and for them I usually substitute parsley and/or oregano/marjoram.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 25, 2011

I confess that I detest cilantro. I often swap out for parsley but if its an herb that needs to shine in a recipe like the one you mentioned perhaps thyme, tarragon or dill?

Lucia from Madison
Lucia from Madison June 25, 2011

My husband loves oregano! Thanks for the suggestion!

pierino June 25, 2011

Try a combination of parsley and mint chopped together. I sympathize with the people who can't taste the background flavor of cilantro because it really is good, but unfortunately not an "acquired taste."

the professor
the professor June 25, 2011

seconding pierino: parsley and mint when using it fresh in a salad or salsa. but if you're baking, oregano seems like a better choice.

Verdigris
Verdigris June 25, 2011

Oh, I think I read it on another foodpickle response, but if the soapy taste is what bothers you about cilantro, try just using the stems and roots. Apparently the leaves of cilantro give off the flavor many don't like.

Panfusine
Panfusine June 26, 2011

technically you could substitute most herbs.. (my choice for substitutions would be dill), but you will get a different end result..

Lucia from Madison
Lucia from Madison June 26, 2011

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I went with parsley! My husband tried one and love it.
This was a great recipe. The dough is wonderful to work with.
Can't wait to try one myself.