🔕 🔔

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I love dressing farro salads with Sherry vinegar, coarse sea salt & black pepper. I will also saute escarole, beet greens, spinach or some other silky green to complement the textural nature of a grain salad. I know it sounds off but I also like to grill or quick saute figs but if fruit is out of season or too odd, other vegetables like raw or lightly cooked: turnips, radishes, carrots, zucchini would be lovely. I like to roast, saute and keep raw various ingredients for textural complexity.

4d625ded d965 42c7 b1ee ec9d7dc7fb4e  profilepic

Ooh I love the idea of roasted carrots and raw radishes. Thanks, Shuna!

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

How about a simple vinaigrette and a medium-soft boiled egg?

Think I can bring a cold soft boiled egg with me to work?

Well, there are ingredients I would leave out, in particular the aspargus and the cilantro. Those two don't match anyway. When using farro, keep it simple. That's how they would treat it in Italy anyway. In Umbria (they use farro quite a lot) they might cook the farro with prosciutto end or bone---carrots,celery, olive oil and grated parmigiano to finish and that's it.

Ohh pierino! This response is so...You. The farro is already cooked, and I kept it pretty simple: water. As for the cilantro, I actually think asparagus and cilantro can go great together in Asian-style dishes. Asparagus in a soy vinaigrette with cilantro is quite good. In this case, my scallions and cilantro were already mixed together from tonight's dinner of spring rolls, so I added them both. I think I'm going to go with Merrill's suggestion of a simple vinaigrette, and I've also added some chunks of roasted beet that I made this weekend,inspired by Shuna's rec. I'm sure lunch tomorrow will be, at the very least, edible. Thanks, all, for weighing in.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Rivka - Maybe a little feta if you can't do the egg?

Ohh healthierkitchen, we are on the same wavelength. Added feta to the bowl last night. :)