What should I add to this farro dish?

I've got farro, sliced blanched asparagus, scallion, and cilantro all combined. What should I add to make this a delicious lunch for tomorrow?

• Posted by: Rivka
  • May 15, 2012

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon May 15, 2012

I love dressing farro salads with Sherry vinegar, coarse sea salt & black pepper. I will also saute escarole, beet greens, spinach or some other silky green to complement the textural nature of a grain salad. I know it sounds off but I also like to grill or quick saute figs but if fruit is out of season or too odd, other vegetables like raw or lightly cooked: turnips, radishes, carrots, zucchini would be lovely. I like to roast, saute and keep raw various ingredients for textural complexity.

Rivka
Rivka May 15, 2012

Ooh I love the idea of roasted carrots and raw radishes. Thanks, Shuna!

Merrill Stubbs May 15, 2012

How about a simple vinaigrette and a medium-soft boiled egg?

Rivka
Rivka May 15, 2012

Think I can bring a cold soft boiled egg with me to work?

pierino May 15, 2012

Well, there are ingredients I would leave out, in particular the aspargus and the cilantro. Those two don't match anyway. When using farro, keep it simple. That's how they would treat it in Italy anyway. In Umbria (they use farro quite a lot) they might cook the farro with prosciutto end or bone---carrots,celery, olive oil and grated parmigiano to finish and that's it.

Rivka
Rivka May 15, 2012

Ohh pierino! This response is so...You. The farro is already cooked, and I kept it pretty simple: water. As for the cilantro, I actually think asparagus and cilantro can go great together in Asian-style dishes. Asparagus in a soy vinaigrette with cilantro is quite good. In this case, my scallions and cilantro were already mixed together from tonight's dinner of spring rolls, so I added them both. I think I'm going to go with Merrill's suggestion of a simple vinaigrette, and I've also added some chunks of roasted beet that I made this weekend,inspired by Shuna's rec. I'm sure lunch tomorrow will be, at the very least, edible. Thanks, all, for weighing in.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 16, 2012

Rivka - Maybe a little feta if you can't do the egg?

Rivka
Rivka May 16, 2012

Ohh healthierkitchen, we are on the same wavelength. Added feta to the bowl last night. :)